Vital Statistics

The Registrar of Vital Statistics records all marriages, births and deaths which occur in Milltown Borough. The responsibilities of Registrar include: processing and issuing marriage licenses, and providing certified copies of vital events that took place within the Borough.

Marriage/Civil Union

You can apply for the Marriage/Civil Union License in the New Jersey municipality where either applicant resides. Proof of residency is required. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. In this case, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.

Residents of Milltown Borough may schedule an appointment in person, or by calling (732) 828-2100 ext. 181



  • Proof of identity by presenting an unexpired photo ID (driver’s license, state/federal I.D or passport)
  • Proof of residency as a Milltown resident (utility bill, mortgage, lease agreement, etc)
  • Social Security number*
  • A witness, 18 years of age or older with photo ID

*Your social security number is required by law for US citizens, and will be kept confidential.
*Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

There is a minimum 72- hour waiting time before a license can be issued.  Once issued, the license must be used within 30 days of the pick-up date and is only valid within the State of New Jersey.

Certified Copies

This office only can provide copies of Vital events (birth, death, marriage) that have occurred within MILLTOWN BOROUGH

Non-Genealogical Records are births occurring within the last eighty (80) years or if the individual is still living, marriages occurring within the last fifty (50) years, deaths occurring within the last forty (40) years and all civil union and domestic partnership records.

Certified Copies have the raised seal of the office issuing the record and are always issued on State of New Jersey safety paper. Certified copies may be used to establish identity and are legal documents.

Certifications are issued on plain paper with no seal and clearly indicate they are not valid for establishing identity or for legal purposes. Certifications are generally useful for genealogy. Certifications of death records do not contain the Social Security Number or the Cause of Death medical terminology.

Applications for a certification or certified copy of Non-Genealogical record requires the applicant to provide a completed application, valid proof of identity**, payment of the fee and, if requesting a certified copy, proof that establishes you are:

  • the subject of the record;
  • the subject's parent, legal guardian or legal representative;
  • the subject's spouse/civil union partner, domestic partner, child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age;
  • a state or federal agency for official purposes; or
  • requesting pursuant to a court order.

**Acceptable proofs of identity are: Valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address OR valid driver's license without photo and an alternative form of ID with current address OR two (2) alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address. Alternate forms of ID are:

  • Vehicle Registration
  • Vehicle Insurance Card
  • Voter Registration
  • US/Foreign Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card (green card)
  • Immigrant Visa
  • Federal/State ID
  • County ID
  • School ID
  • Utility Bill (within previous ninety (90) days)
  • Bank Statement (within previous ninety (90) days)
  • Tax Return or W-2 for current or previous year

Requests for records to be mailed to an address other than that which appears on the requestor's ID must be accompanied by a notarized letter which includes:

  1. The alternate address, and
  2. A written requestor to mail records to this alternate address.

People who are homeless can have a social worker or the coordinator of the homeless shelter where they are temporarily residing submit a request on behalf of the homeless person. The request must be on their agency letterhead and provide the identifying information on the homeless person's vital record. The request must be accompanied by proof of employment by the agency and valid identification. The resulting copy of the vital record will be mailed to the agency.

People who are incarcerated can provide legal imprisonment, conviction papers or release documents that include the name, social security number and all possible aliases used in the past or identification from a prison/probation official.

The charge is $15.00 per certified copy