The Tax Collector is responsible for the billing, collection and recording of all taxes and utilities levied upon the properties in the Borough. They are appointed to a four-year term and may achieve tenure after serving five consecutive years. Additionally, they are required to be licensed by the State of New Jersey as a Certified Tax Collector to hold the position.
Property tax bills are mailed once a year in July and contain four quarterly payments. The tax office will mail a tax bill to a new property owner, when they receive notification from Middlesex County that there has been a change of ownership. Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from paying taxes or delinquent interest on taxes. When selling your property, the bill must be handed over to the new owner at the time of closing.
Note: The validity of any tax or assessment, or the time at which it shall be payable, shall not be affected by the failure of a taxpayer to receive a tax bill, but every taxpayer is put on notice to ascertain from the proper official of the taxing district the amount which may be due for taxes or assessments against him or his property. N.J.S.A. 54:4-64
Due Dates for Taxes
Taxes are due February 1, May 1, August 1, and November 1. By Resolution, the Borough of Milltown allows a ten-day grace period before charging a penalty for late payment of taxes. Delinquent interest is charged after the 10th day of the month that taxes are due. The State of New Jersey does not allow the Tax Collector to accept postmarks; therefore, all payments must be received in the tax office on or before the 10th. If the 10th falls on a weekend or legal holiday, the taxpayer has until the next business day to make a payment.
- In Person-please bring your entire bill with you so that we may receipt the back of your bill for you.
- Drop box- located next to the Police Department’s entrance for your convenience and is available after hours only. All payments left in the drop box are posted as of the next business day.
- Mail-along with your payment, please send your tax bill stub to:
Borough of Milltown Tax Department
39 Washington Avenue
Milltown, NJ 08850
- Borough’s Website - Transaction fees will apply. See Quick Links to access online payment.
- Online Banking through your own bank- these payments are not electronic. Your bank converts these payments into a paper check that must transit through the postal system. Please keep this in mind when scheduling your payment to allow enough time to be delivered by the due date. We suggest at least 7-10 days.
VERIFY YOUR CHECKS
It is quite often necessary to return checks that are incorrectly written. These errors can result in delays that may cause interest charges for late payments. Please follow the list below to avoid some of the most common errors.
- The check must be made payable to the Borough of Milltown.
- The check must be signed and dated.
- The written amount must match the numeric amount on the check
- The check must be written from a valid bank account.